Write a review
- 1 Whole Grain Bread Loaf, slices cubed
- 120ml Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 8 slices smoked bacon/rashers, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 150g extra sharp cheddar, shredded
- 150 mozzarella, shredded
- 1 scallion, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 6 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/ 190°C. In a bowl toss bread and olive oil together, sprinkle with salt and pepper to season. Toast in glass dish for 20 minutes.
- In a saucepan, cook bacon until browned, about 8 minutes, set aside on a plate with paper towel to drain. Keep about 2 -3 tablespoons of bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for 3 – 5 minutes, add tomatoes, red pepper and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Return all ingredients to a large bowl along with cheeses, green onion. Toss until well combined. Transfer to oiled glass baking dish, cover with foil and bake for about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Using a spatula or a cup, press down 6 holes in the bread, break and crack an egg into each indentation.
- Return to the oven and bake for a further 15 minutes depending on how well done you want your eggs.
- Scoop out with a spoon and serve immediately. This is great to serve with some Siracha hot chili sauce.
Chef Stuart O'Keeffe http://chefstuart.com/
I grew up with my parents’ cooking us breakfast meals for dinner. A big fry up with fresh soda bread for example, nothing could beat that. Here is my simple treat I like to have for both breakfast and Dinner.