Lemon Chili Avocado Toast
In California, we always have access to great avocados. And when life gives you an abundance of avocados, you make avocado toast, of course! There are several varieties of avocado, and any of them would work for this recipe. However, I prefer using the Hass variety—the small type with the dark, bumpy skin—as they have more natural fat and are less watery than the larger, smooth-skinned sort. Hass avocados add a wonderfully smooth, creamy texture. The lemon and chili act as the perfect eye-openers.
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- Scoop the flesh out of the avocado shell and place in a bowl.
- Add lemon juice and salt and pepper. Mash well with a fork. Set aside.
- Toast bread and spread each slice with avocado mixture.
- Sprinkle with chili flakes and serve.
- To pit an avocado, take a sharp knife and slice the avocado lengthwise, cutting around the pit. Once you’ve gone the circumference, twist the top half off the bottom. Then take a chef’s knife and swiftly “chop” the pit until the blade sticks into it. Then twist the blade to remove the pit from the avocado.