Write a review
- 450g Thai rice noodles
- 3 raw chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 1-1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 60ml cup soy sauce
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 fresh red chilies, minced
- 2 handfuls fresh bean sprouts
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons chopped cashews
- 150ml chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Canola oil for frying
- Serving: Lime wedges
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste dissolved in 50ml warm water
- 3 tablespoon fish sauce (found in Asian section of supermarkets)
- 2 teaspoons chili sauce
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil, dunk the noodles and let sit in water until they are softened but still have a bite to them. Remember we will be stir-frying these noodles towards the end.
- In a mug or cup combine marinade for chicken by combining soy sauce and cornstarch, toss in chicken, set aside.
- Now we are going to make Pad Thai sauce, combine all of the sauce ingredients together and whisk well.
- Heat up the wok over a medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil, now add the garlic and minced chili.
- Add the chicken and stir-fry for about 1 minute. If the wok starts to become dry add some chicken stock about 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue doing this until chicken becomes cooked.
- Now, add the noodles, the sauce and using two wooden spoons, lift and toss the noodles being careful not to break any of them.
- Now add the bean sprouts, scallions and pepper, toss for about another minute.
- Lift noodles onto plates, sprinkle with lime wedges, cashews and fresh cilantro.
Chef Stuart O'Keeffe http://chefstuart.com/