Unlike most kids, I grew up loving broccoli. My aunt would steam it and melt some salted butter on it. My mother would even mash it with tons of butter. We don’t see Broccolini often in Ireland, and when I discovered it in the States, I fell in love with the vegetable all over again. I like to think of Broccolini as the slender, elegant alternative to the thick stalks you usually find. Dress it in cheese, and you have broccoli that is runway ready!
- 2 pounds Broccolini
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. and place a rimmed 18 x 13-inch baking sheet in the oven to preheat.
- Meanwhile, trim the Broccolini at the tough ends and break apart into stalks.
- Toss the Broccolini with the extra virgin olive oil, massaging the oil into the stalks with your hands.
- Carefully remove the hot pan from the oven and scatter the Broccolini on the tray. It may start to sizzle, which is fine; we want a little char on the vegetable.
- Roast in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes until charred and tender, checking halfway through and shaking the pan.
- Remove from oven. Using a pair of tongs, place on a platter, sprinkle with Parmesan, pour lemon juice over all, and serve.