Roasted Butternut Squash and Quinoa Salad
I think we are all feeling the seasons change dramatically, not only in Ireland but also around the world. When November hits, its time to bring out the butternut squash, this is such a great inexpensive fruit available this time year round. It becomes very popular with large feast type meals like thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.
- 1 Butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 400ml vegetable broth
- 200g Quinoa
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 100g chopped walnuts
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 bags mixed lettuce greens
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Toss the butternut squash with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Roast the squash for about 45 – 50 minutes.
- When the squash is just about done, combine the vegetable broth and quinoa in a separate skillet over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- While the quinoa rests, whisk together the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the Balsamic vinegar to make a quick dressing. Once the quinoa is ready, pour the dressing over the quinoa.
- Add the squash, red onion and walnuts, and toss to evenly mix the ingredients.
- Add in the lettuces and stir.
- Serve immediately, while the salad is still warm.