Winter kale and butternut squash salad
Nothing says winter like kale and butternut squash. It is nice to try out some other greens rather than the usual lettuces we are used to. Kale has a nice bite to it. Although sometimes I can find it bitter, a tip would be to let the dressing sit with the lettuce for about 5 minutes before consuming to break it down.
- 200g butternut squash, cubed
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed, roughly chopped
- 50g almonds
- 50g sharp cheddar, grated
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 50g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 190°C. toss butternut squash with some olive oil until coated, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for about 30 – 40 minutes.
- On a separate tray, toast the almonds until they begin to smell nutty, about 10 minutes in the same oven.
- In a large bowl, toss the kale with the squash, almonds, cheddar, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place on a plate for serving and top with parmesan. Serve.